Wednesday, June 22

 

Finishing the first movie II

I have eventually finished the first movie. The results were much better than the first draft. I thought that some things could be improved such as one screenshot would be better to be redone as well as a part of the voice-over due to some noise, but I thought that nothing could be perfect and each time I will find other things that I have to correct. Overall, this movie was good enough to achieve our purpose.

Exporting this movie into QuickTime was not as easy as I thought it would be. At the beginning the quality of the movie was too low. I found out that iMovie could accept only DV movies and thus, when I was importing the QuickTime screen captures, iMovie converted them from QuickTime to DV and when I exported them, it converted them from DV back to QuickTime. This was disastrous for the movie quality. However, exporting it to DV gave us a better image quality but a really huge file: 600 MB.

After searching in the Internet, we found out that what we should do was to export the movies to QuickTime using “Sorenson Video Compression”. By using expert settings in iMovie we managed to both export the movie with a very good quality and to reduce the output’s size. Since the size of the file depends on its resolution, we decided to create a 640*480 (30-40MB) movie for the CD-ROM tutorial and a 240*160 (5-8MB) movie for the website since most of the product’s users presumably have low-bandwidth Internet connections.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?