Thursday, July 7

 

Movies or images

When I exported the last movie, I was surprised from its size, which was relatively much bigger than that of the previous ones. However, this time I had avoided using any still images and I used only video clips. This resulted to a much better movie quality, but also to bigger movie size, something that we have been trying to avoid so far. I started wondering what one should do, choose good movie quality or prefer the small size of the final movie. There must be a line between these two, but where should one put the line? It probably depends on your goal. I thought that the most optimal would be good quality since the movie size was not too big. However, in our case we wanted both good quality and the smallest possible file size. Thus, the decision is again to the designer and what he/she thinks is more optimal each time, depending on the specific movie.

I can now understand what I had once read in an article, where the author was observing that most people today think of movies as the best medium in educational software. However, the author continues by saying that the space a movie takes can be used more effectively with other means of learning such as text. A picture is a thousand words but as he observes, in the new information society a picture takes up much more space than a thousand words do. The bottom line in my opinion is, before you use a movie or a picture or a text, think what is more suitable and better in your case and choose the more optimal one.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?